Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week One

Authors: Phillip Meggs & Alston Purvis, 
John Wiley & Sons, 5th ed., c1998
image posted on Foothill College Bookstore site
The study of graphic design provides an integrated look at many interesting things colliding all at once: art, history, political upheaval, social change and technological breakthroughs. I enjoyed reading the prefaces in Philip Meggs and Alston Purvis, Meggs’ History of Graphic Design.  I had never given much thought to the phrase graphic design. I figured the term always existed.  Now I know the term had been coined in 1922 by an American typeface creator and book designer, William Addison Dwiggins.  The role of the graphic designer is profound. She/he must constantly innovate upon past advancements and incorporate new media such as the internet and motion graphics.  The graphic designer is the ideal ambassador and implementer of the German word, 'zeitgiest' which according to Meggs, means "the spirit of the times, and refers to the cultural trends and tastes that are characteristic of a given era."
I fundamentally believe that our aspirations and perception of self is driven by what we see. Visual propaganda can be used for positive change and personal growth. I am keenly interested in design that promotes the positive. Thinking back to when I was a child, one of my friend’s parents lined their hallway with 1960’s and 1970’s posters containing antiwar, peace and love messages. These images are imprinted on my brain and I am sure helped formulate who I am. My favorite image is the well known, "War is not Healthy for Children and Other Living Things" poster, created by Lorraine Art Schneider. This poster became the logo for the anti-war organization, Another Mother for Peace. I didn't see this poster in our textbook, but after reading the preface I realize difficult editing choices had to be made.
Poster created by Lorraine Art Schneider, 1966
Posted on Another Mother for Peace site.



No comments:

Post a Comment